Guest speaker at Table Talk Halloween edition
Meet Mildred (Milly) Schwengle, the senior partner at HBN Law, Aruba.
1999 – present HBN Law, Aruba
Litigation and advisory experience in all fields of civil law, mainly corporate and business law, mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, international commercial disputes, capital markets regulation, laws regulating security rights, contract and trade law, pension laws, and real estate issues; an estimated 300 civil, injunctive and administrative cases have been litigated during this period. A certified specialist in corporate and commercial law from the prestigious Grotius Academie. Mildred’s vast experience has allowed her to be lead counsel in transactions involving 9 to 10-digit dollar amounts.
- Lead counsel on financial transactions regarding Private Placements and Issuance of (Government) Bonds
- Lead counsel in several financial transactions involving 9 to 10-digit dollar amounts
- Lead counsel in several complex corporate, civil and administrative litigation
- Lead counsel in privatization and pension fund matters
1996 – 1999 HBN Law, Curaçao
Litigation and advisory experience in all fields of civil law, mainly corporate law, banking law, international commercial disputes, laws regulating security rights and financing, tort, breach of contract, real estate issues; an estimated 100 civil, injunctive and administrative cases have been litigated during this period.
1994 – 1995 Brown Attorneys Aruba
General Commercial Practice.
1992 – 1994 Court of First Instance Aruba
Inventory of law and literature in commercial and criminal matters and preparing judgments.
1990 – 1992 Public Prosecutor
Prosecution of criminal cases.
- 2015 Practical Lessons from the Great Negotiators – Program on Negotiations at the Harvard Law School, Cambridge, USA
- 2011 – 2012 Post-graduate Specialization degree in Corporate and Commercial Law at the ‘Grotius Academie’, The Netherlands
- 1990 – present Numerous post-doctorate courses in law and related topics
- 1984 – 1989 Doctorate in law at the Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
1994 – present Admitted as an attorney-at-law to the Court of Appeals of Curaçao, Aruba, Sint Maarten and Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba
- Aruba Bar Association
- Dean of Aruba Bar Association (2002 – April 2007)
Volunteering with charities
- Former board member Fundacion Pro Crea (Art Foundation)
- Former board member Stichting Algemeen Bejaardenzorg Aruba (Foundation for elderly care)
- Former founder and former Board member Stichting Balansa Nobo (Foundation for debt
restructuring for citizens)
Related professional activities
- Visiting Lecturer at the Law Faculty of the University of Aruba
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the AIB Bank N.V.
- Member of the Advisory Council (Raad van Advies) of Aruba
Selected publications and speeches
- Several publications in the Ñapa Column with regard to Corporate law, Financing and Securities, and Constitution law
- Publication with regard to employment laws
- Speaker for ‘Sustainability of the Aruban legal system’ at Europe Meets the Americas
- The development of the Judiciary in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Papiamento, English, Dutch and Spanish.